Performing maintenance washes
- Please make sure you follow these instructions fully. If you have any problems with carrying out this maintenance, please contact us.
Keeping the inner workings of your washing machine clean and fresh will help extend its life, prevent breakdowns and make sure that your washing is cleaned effectively. You should aim to run a maintenance wash process each month.
Several specialist products are available which can be used to keep your washing machine clean inside and will give you the best results. Using a biological washing powder on a hot-wash (90 degrees) programme or following the steps below can also help destroy the build up of bacteria and detergents, but always check your user manual for any specific recommendations for your appliance.
Note: make sure that your washing machine is empty before running a maintenance wash.
- 1. Use either the manufacturers specialist cleaning products or other descaling products from your local supermarket, this will help to clear any build-up of left-over washing powders and liquids which may have gathered in the bottom of your washing machine during normal use.Don’t worry if you co not have any products to hand, you can still commence the maintenance wash without these.
- 2. Having made sure the machine is empty, start a hot-wash (90 degrees) programme. This will run the cleaning products through the machine helping to remove any detergent residue and kill any bacteria inside the machine
- 3. Next, put about 250 ml of white vinegar in the powder compartment of the dispensing drawer and start a 40-degree wash programme. Although the cleaning products will have done the majority of cleaning, the white vinegar will help to remove any remaining odours.
- 4. When the two wash programmes have finished it’s good practice to also clean and check the door seals and to make sure that the dispensing drawer and its compartment are also clean.For more information see the “Maintaining the door seals” and “Cleaning the detergent drawer” topics.
- 5. It’s also a good idea to check that the pump filter is clean and free from any obstructions.For more information, see the “Cleaning the pump filter” topic.