There is too much foam in my washing machine
- Please make sure you follow these instructions fully. If you have any problems with carrying out this maintenance, please contact us.
If you notice an excess of foam in your washing machines drum, this is likely to be because too much detergent, soap or another foaming agent has got into the machine rather than any fault with your washing machine.
The points below will help with some general guidance, but always check your user manual for any specific detail on your own appliance.
- 1. If your washing machine foams a lot, it can be because:
- You may just be adding too much soap or detergent which, along with a lot of low temperature washes, can help to build up soap powder residue in the machine.
- It may be the type of soap or detergent you are using, some have a greater tendency to create extra foam.
- You may be washing items with soap or powder residue already in them; for instance, things like cloths with washing-up liquid or soapy flannels.
- 2. To help prevent an excess of foam, you can:
- Clean the machine – run repeated washes at the highest temperature without soap, until it does not produce any more foam. Also see the “Performing maintenance washes” topic for further information.
- Clean the machine with a specialist washing machine cleaner. You may need to do this several times.
- Make sure you follow the soap or detergent manufacturer’s instructions on how much you should use.
- You can try using a different brand of soap or detergent (you may be able to contact the detergent manufacturer if you need more detail or further advice).
- Run a boil wash regularly and select the extra rinse function if these are available on your washing machine.
- Make sure you select wash cycles intended for the type of items you are washing (also see the “Laundry care symbols” topic for further details).
- If the above actions haven’t rectified your issue or you don’t feel confident to undertake them please go to our on-line repair booking page to arrange an engineer visit — https://www.domesticandgeneral.com/repairs.
If you have misplaced or lost your user manual, you can download a replacement manual (please have your model number to hand).