Changing or reversing the door direction
- Please make sure you follow these instructions fully. If you have any problems with carrying out this maintenance, please contact us.
Always make sure that you switch off the electric supply to your ‘fridge freezer before you start any maintenance.
The location for your fridge freezer may mean that you need to have the doors opening on a different side to the way the appliance leaves the factory; many fridge freezers will allow you to do this.
The steps below are a general guide (and show moving the hinges from the right side to the left), but always check the user manual for any specific requirements relating to your own appliance.
We recommend reversing doors (if necessary) before turning your fridge freezer on for the first time. The appliance and the doors will be quite heavy, so you should always have some help when carrying out this task.
- 1. Switch off and unplug the appliance from the mains electric power.
- 2. Remove all food and any loose items and fittings.
- 3. Carefully tilt the appliance backwards so that it is leaning against a wall or something strong enough to support it at around 45-degrees so that you can easily reach the bottom hinge fixings (protect the wall and the fridge freezer with something like a sheet of cardboard). The appliance will be quite heavy so you will need some assistance with this.
- 4. Unscrew and remove the bottom hinge.
- 5. Slightly open the bottom door and slide it downwards to remove it from the body of the appliance.
- 6. Remove the centre hinge.
- 7. Slightly open the top door and slide it downwards to remove it from the body of the appliance.
- 8. Remove the top hinge pin.
- 9. Insert the top hinge pin in the hole on the opposite side of the door frame.
- 10. Use a thin blunt edged tool (such as a screwdriver) to remove the top and bottom hinge bushes and blanking plugs from the doors. Take care not to damage the doors themselves.
- 11. Insert and the hinge bushes and blanking plugs in to the holes on the opposite sides. of the doors.
- 12. Fit the blanking plugs into the right hand centre hinge holes.
- 13. To replace the doors, slide the top door upwards so that it locates properly on to the top hinge pin.
- 14. Reposition the centre hinge on the opposite side of the fridge freezer, ensuring that the hinge pins are on the outside of the appliance and screw it into place (the holes will normally have been pre-drilled). Ensure that the hinge pin locates properly in the hole in the door.
- 15. Slide the bottom door up so that it locates properly on to the centre hinge pin.
- 16. Re-attach the bottom hinge pin in to its new location on the opposite side of your fridge freezer.
- 17. Attach the bottom hinge, making sure the door is correctly aligned with the body of the fridge freezer on all sides.
- 18. Stand the fridge freezer back up upright (you will need some assistance for this as the appliance can be heavy).
Make sure that the appliance is sitting level on the floor, then open and close the doors to check that the doors and seals close properly without any gaps when they are shut.Also see the “Adjusting the feet” topic for further information.
Your fridge freezer will need to rest before switching it back on (see the “Resting prior to operating” topic), check your user manual for any specific timing recommendation.
- If you have misplaced or lost your user manual, you can download a replacement manual (please have your model number to hand).