My washing machine is noisy
- Please make sure you follow these instructions fully. If you have any problems with carrying out this maintenance, please contact us.
A noisy washing machine can be caused by a few different reasons, below are some things to check that may help reduce the noise of the machine whilst washing.
Always check the user manual for details of your specific appliance, but the steps below will give you some general guidance.
- 1. Check that all the ‘transit’ or ‘shipping’ bolts have been removed. For precise details on your machine refer to the user manual and also see the “Removing the shipping or transit bolts” topic.
- 2. Check that the device is level. If the washing machine is not level on a firm floor during washing, the machine will jump and rattle. Ensure all feet are touching the floor to reduce potential damage.
The feet of your washing machine can be adjusted to compensate for any uneven floors. Simply unscrew them until the machine is stable and will not move or wobble on the floor. An evenly balanced machine will make it stable and reduce any noise and vibrations.Take care: the washing machine will be very heavy, so you may need some help to move it.
For more information, see the “Adjusting the Feet” topic.
- 3. Check there is a clearance gap around the machine. Generally there is no rule for a minimum clearance, some suppliers will recommend a 5mm to 10mm gap on all sides of the washing machine, but check your user manual for any specific details on your appliance. Washing machines move and vibrate when washing and should not be directly touching any cabinets or surfaces.
Check the pump filter for debris, coins and keys. These can interfere with the moving part of the pump and make a loud noise when the machine spins or empties water out.For more information, see the “Cleaning the pump filter” topic.
- If the above actions haven’t rectified your issue or you don’t feel confident to undertake them please go to our on-line repair booking page to arrange an engineer visit — https://www.domesticandgeneral.com/repairs.
If you have misplaced or lost your user manual, you can download a replacement manual (please have your model number to hand).