My washing machine door wonʼt open
- Please make sure you follow these instructions fully. If you have any problems with carrying out this maintenance, please contact us.
There are a number of reasons that the door of your machine may not open. Use the steps below as a guide to help diagnose the problem.
Always check the user manual for details of your specific appliance, but the steps below will give you some general guidance.
- 1. The wash cycle may not be finished.Note: when the wash cycle is running, the door will be locked. Check the Wash Cycle Indicator lights or display panel for progress.
Once the drum comes to rest at the end of the cycle the door will remain locked for up to 5 minutes before releasing the catch to enable the door to be opened. This is a safety feature and not a fault with the appliance.
- 3. Check if your washing machine has a child lock and make sure this has not been selected, switch off any child lock and the door will open (subject to the points above). Refer to your user manual for specific details on your appliance.
- 4. If it is not the points above preventing the door opening (perhaps a power-cut or door-lock problem), some machines will allow you to open the door manually. Check the user manual for details of this for your specific machine.Note: be sure to check that you have emptied the water from the washing machine before opening the door. See the “Water is stuck in the washing machine” topic for further information.
- If the above actions haven’t rectified your issue or you don’t feel confident to undertake them please go to our on-line repair booking page to arrange an engineer visit — https://www.domesticandgeneral.com/repairs.
If you have misplaced or lost your user manual, you can download a replacement manual (please have your model number to hand).