Defrosting my appliance
- Please make sure you follow these instructions fully. If you have any problems with carrying out this maintenance, please contact us.
Always make sure that you switch off the electric supply to your ‘fridge freezer before you start any maintenance.
It may be necessary to defrost the appliance occasionally, to keep it running at maximum efficiency. This will depend on the fridge freezer model, so refer to the user manual for specific defrost schedules. A general rule is to defrost your freezer when the ice become 3-5mm thick. Frost free appliances should not need to be defrosted.
Turn off the appliance at the mains and unplug.
Empty the fridge as much as possible.The fridge compartment may have an automatic defrost function in which excess water is channelled to the back of the appliance, where the heat produced by the compressor causes it to evaporate. Warning! Do not use any sharp implements to clear ice as this can damage the internal lining and internal mechanisms and void any warranty. Only use a suitable plastic or wooden tool which is not too sharp. A plastic scraper may have been supplied with your new appliance.
- 3. Where possible take out any fridge drawers, trays and shelves.
Empty the freezer as much as possible ensuring that you place the food in another freezer or in a cool place where it will not be allowed to thaw-out.
Where possible take out the freezer drawers, trays and shelves.
Leave the freezer doors open to defrost, you can speed up the defrost process by placing containers of lukewarm water into the freezer compartment.
Wipe down the sides, base and top of the freezer compartment to remove any excess water.
- 8. Check the door seals are clean and free from debris.
- 9. Replace any drawers, trays and shelves (in both compartments if you are defrosting both fridge and freezer).
Plug the appliance into the mains power and switch on.
- 11. Turn the temperature control back to the required setting.
- 12. Wait approximately 2 hours until the ideal storage conditions have been restored, before placing food back into the freezer compartment.
- If you have misplaced or lost your user manual, you can download a replacement manual (please have your model number to hand).